Hedgren Philippines recently organized a style clinic in SM City Cebu.
The clinic featured Bb. Pilipinas Universe Ms. Abby Arenas-de Leon.
She taught us tips on how to present and carry one’s self.
And what did I learn?
I learned what power is.
Just remember this word and you’ll be the shiniest diamond!
What is POWER?
Warm body language
Revamp Workplace Outfit Of The Day
Hedgren Style Clinic Cebu Tip Number 1: Perfect Smile
First step is to think of happy thoughts.
When you think of happy thoughts, you’re body is bound to respond and you’ll smile eventually.
A genuine smile means your mouth is curved and your eyes have happy lines (some call them wrinkles or Crow’s Feet but what the heck).
For you to maintain your happy curve, say the letter “A” or number “eight.”
Here’s something you can do so that you can have a perfect smile.
- When you wake up, smile for 2 minutes straight. (Remember to say the letter “A” or number “eight.”)
- Then do this for 2 weeks straight!
After 2 weeks, you will begin to develop the smile muscle memory, then smiling would become a breeze for you!
Always remember that a good smile cheapest form of cosmetic so keep on practicing!
Oh, by the way!
When you answer the phone, answer with a smile.
It will make you sound better.
Hedgren Style Clinic Cebu Tip Number 2: Open Stance
According to Miss Abby, the culprit for bad posture are:
- tables we work on
So how do we make sure we have good posture and open stance?
- Tweak your neck so that your head will stay straight. Make sure it will not look too arrogant or too shy.
- Align your shoulder bone with your ear.
- Straighten your back as you inhale and exhale.
- Stretch your arms to the back, release, then relax.
- Make sure to stand straight because our bodies are way too heavy to be carried on one leg.
Hedgren Style Clinic Cebu Tip Number 3: Warm Body Language
This is the thing I always look for in every person I meet.
When it is absent, I find it very revolting at times.
Some people have warm body language but they tend to overdo it.
Let’s start with the proper handshake, shall we?
HOW TO PROPERLY SHAKE HANDS WITH ANOTHER PERSON
- Keep thumb up.
- Let the web of your hand touch the web of the other person’s hand.
- Grasp by the palm.
- For 2 to 3 seconds, give 1 to 3 pumps.
- It should start and end crispy or snappy.
- Maintain good eye contact during the entire performance.
- You can give a nod or two.
- You can flash your eyebrows once (more than that means monkey business).
- Make sure your handshake is firm and painless.
- Lean a little bit forward because it will make them feel important and it will help them feel warm.
HOW TO MAINTAIN GOOD EYE CONTACT
The Diagonal Method
- Your right eye should look at the right eye of the other person. If you’re a leftie, apply the same technique.
- Make sure you look into the eyes of the other person for not more than 10 seconds or else, that will be called staring!
The Triagonal Method
- Both your eyes should look at the right eye (or left eye) of the other person.
- Remember not to stare.
Always remember that people will tend to remember you not because of what you said but because of how you made them feel.
So look at my eyes when you shake my hands and don’t crush my hands as well, please!
Hedgren Style Clinic Cebu Tip Number 4: Excellent Appearance
Miss Abby told us that there are 5 things we need to remember when it comes to maintaining an excellent appearance.
5 CONTRIBUTING FACTORS ON HOW TO LOOK OUR BEST
1. Hair – It should be well-kept.
2. Fresh looking face – So that you will look presentable. Who wants to see a haggard face anyway?
3. Appropriate clothing – You should take into consideration the occasion and venue when it comes to wearing appropriate clothes.
4. Personal hygiene – This is self-explanatory.
5. Accessories can make or break the outfit – It should compliment your outfit.
Hedgren Style Clinic Cebu Tip Number 5: Revamp Workplace Outfit Of The Day
According to Micheal Kors, “Ive always thought of accessories as the exclamation point of a woman outfit.”
I’ve learned from Miss Abby that we don’t need to buy numerous outfits for our workplace.
All we need is a little black dress!
Why little black dress?
Because you can use it for work, travel, and more!
Then just play with accessories to match.
For example, match your little black dress with a blazer if you’re going to work.
When going to the mall, you can match it with playful jewelry and colorful handbag.
When traveling, you might wanna pair it with shades and a poncho.
When attending board meetings, always choose solid colors and choose foot wear that will cover your feet.
When traveling, shades and scarves will be your best friend!I know it’s a lot to take in but I know we can all apply what we have learned here.
What’s your favorite tip from Miss Abby?
Mine was about the warm body language.
To end my lengthy blog, let me leave you a quote from Rachel Zoe.
“Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.”